Monday, January 10, 2011

Black Bean & Quinoa Burrito Bowls

My family loves Chipotle and Qdoba because they're super-tasty and offer many gluten-free options.  I've been craving a burrito bowl for the past several days, and decided to make my own (somewhat) healthier version at home.  My food photography skills are not so great....I promise this tasted a lot better than the picture looks!

I used black beans that had cooked earlier in the slow-cooker with lots of garlic.  Dried beans are so easy to fix in the slow-cooker and far cheaper than canned.  We served the beans over quinoa and topped them with of our favorite burrito toppings.  My bowl had a little shredded sharp cheddar, lots of avocado and cilantro, salsa, cucumbers, and diced jalapenos.  I know the cukes sound a little strange, but I love their cool crunchiness with the spicy stuff!  Hubby chose cheese, sour cream, salsa, and lettuce for his bowl, and our daughter had cheese and sour cream on hers.  Our son, the resident picky eater, had a grilled cheese and an apple. 

No comments:

Post a Comment