Monday, January 17, 2011

Sour Cream and Onion Dip

I'm a snacker.  I like sweets, but I have absolutely no willpower where salty snacks are concerned.  Chips and dip are a particular weakness.  However, I rarely buy dip these days because the ingredient list on most brands is just too scary.  Tonight I had a serious craving for sour cream and onion dip that nothing else was going to satisfy, so I decided to make some myself.  After looking about a dozen difference recipes, I cobbled together one of my own.  The end result wasn't very photogenic, but it was very tasty. 
Sour Cream and Onion Dip
1 1/2 cups sour cream (or greek yogurt or a mixture)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 tsp Simply Organic all-purpose seasoning (or other herb blend of your choice)
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion and cook until it becomes translucent.  Add salt and reduce heat to low.  Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are very soft and begin to carmelize (approx 15-20 mins).  Stir cooked onions and remaining ingredients into sour cream.  I chose to pulse everything in the food processor a few times to get smoother consistency since my husband does not like the texture of onions. 

Hubby and I both loved this.  Far too many potato chips were consumed. :)  It would be great on veggies, too and the seasonings could be easily adjusted to suit your taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment